Flower symbolism is present almost everywhere around us even though we often miss it. Flower symbols can be found on products in logos and almost everywhere. For the biggest part, slower symbols were used in art and literature when people wanted to express how they felt and compare certain things to something as beautiful as a flower.
Flower symbolism grew and changed as years went by and they started being even more popular.
Flower symbols can make us think of certain things and evoke a particular emotion in our heads. They are that powerful and can make us feel a certain way. Flower symbolism is also important when we want to surprise someone we love because we can’t just gift them any flower. This flower has to represent our emotions and everything we are feeling inside.
In today’s text we will talk about a flower called forget me not. This flower has an interesting background in symbolic sense that reaches back hundreds of years. So if you wanted to learn more about its symbolic meaning, here is a chance to do that.
Meaning of the Forget me not flower
Meaning of flowers are important not only when we need to choose the right flower for someone we love, it is also important when we want to learn more about the importance of certain flowers in our culture. Every flower has its own meaning and these meanings are mostly based on the history behind a certain flower.
Flower symbolism is present almost everywhere around us even though we often miss it. Flower symbols can be found on products in logos and almost everywhere. For the biggest part, slower symbols were used in art and literature when people wanted to express how they felt and compare certain things to something as beautiful as a flower. Flower symbolism grew and changed as years went by and they started being even more popular.
Flowers were an important part of people’s lives for hundreds of years and many stories and myths were built around them. The Forget me not flower has several meanings and they are:
- The Forget me not flower represents true love and giving someone this flower means you truly love and respect this person. This beautiful flower might not the as elegant as a rose flower, but it has a strong meaning that overcomes its appearance and size. You can always give this flower to your partner to surprise him to her and to show your true emotions.
- The forget me not flower is a symbol of fidelity and being truthful to someone you love. This flower is going to tell your loved one that you are faithful and that you don’t have an intention to hurt this person. Receiving this flower from the person you love also means this person is faithful to you and that this person cares deeply for you.
- The forgot me not flower represents long lasting connections that can exist between not only lovers, but also friends. This flower is telling you that there is a strong connection between you and the person who is gifting you this this flower. This connection can’t be broken or shaken by anything or anyone.
- The forget me not flower got its name after this meaning and it represents a flower you give to someone when you don’t want this person to forget about you. This flower is a beautiful reminder that someone is special in your life and that this person deserves to be respected. There are even stories linked to these beautiful flowers but we will talk about them later on.
Forget me not flower – Etymological meaning
The forget me not flower got its name after a Greek word Myositis which actually meant mouse’s ear. Myositis is a scientific name but the common name is Forget me not flower. The name forget me not came from the German word vergissmichnicht which means forget me not. Most stories surrounding this flower come from the German mythology and culture.
From there, the forget me not flower got spread to the rest of the Europe and the rest of the world. Seems like stories surrounding this flower were strong impacting, since this name is the one that is now used by many cultures across the world.
Forget me not Flower –Symbolism
The Myositis flowers, known in the people as Forget me not Flower, have unforgettable memories of the old times and were often planted in gardens and pots. Today its tiny, mostly blue flowers are increasingly becoming a decoration of gardens, terraces and balconies.
Myositis, or a Forget me not Flower it is often called, belongs to the family of Boraginaceous. Genus got the name after the Latin word myos meaning the mouse, because its leaves are like a mouse. There are about 200 species of this genus, with many variations, and as an herb plants the most commonly used is Myositis alpestris. The Myositis comes from Europe. It grows very lush in a compact bush, in the height of 15 to 30 cm. The tree and leaves are covered with tiny hairs. The leaves are tongued in a rosette from which the floral handle is drawn.
A Myositis flowers are closed throughout the whole of the day, until the big heat is gone. The flowers are numerous, small, petal, and most commonly blue, and may be pink and white. Its seeds are found in small herbs, along the stems of the flower. Flower symbolism is present almost everywhere around us even though we often miss it. Flower symbols can be found on products in logos and almost everywhere. For the biggest part, slower symbols were used in art and literature when people wanted to express how they felt and compare certain things to something as beautiful as a flower. Flower symbolism grew and changed as years went by and they started being even more popular.
A Myositis is a weedy plant that is planted on the edge of a garden pond or between other flowers and other high plants in the garden to cover the soil between them. It expands very fast and is a good choice for the bridges. Placed in a plasterboard or ironmongery with other flowers becomes an interesting detail on the terraces and balconies.
Interesting symbolism is attached to the Myositis flower. Thus King Henry IV of England took this tree as his symbol during his exile in 1398, and kept it as a symbol when he returned to England the following year. In Germany in the 15th century it was believed that those who wear this flower will not forget their lovers. In the Victorian language the flower was a symbol of veritable and true love, and therefore it was often worn by ladies as a sign of veneration and enduring love. This tree was also scattered by Led Zeppelin and her lover, in the novel The Lover of Charlie DeVilde Herbert Lorens.
The legend says that in the Middle Ages the knight and his heart’s chosen one walked beside the river. The girl saw the lavish blue flowers that grew near the shore, and she asked him to pick them for her. When the knight stretched out to the ground to grab him, he shuddered and fell into the hole. The heavy armor prevented him from swimming, and he began to sink. After he had grabbed the girl’s favorite flower, he sank with a shout: “Do not forget me!” Since then this tree has become known as an unforgettable one, and by its name associates itself with true love, a love that never dies.
Forget me not flower – Color meaning
Color of a flower can have a strong impact on the symbolic meaning of a flower. Flowers can come in many colors or they can have only one or two colors. Having less colors doesn’t mean that a certain flower is less important in a symbolic sense since they can have very strong symbolic meanings no matter how many colors they have. The Forget me not flower comes in several colors and they are:
- Color white is a symbol of purity, innocence and spirituality. This flower can be gifted to someone who just had a child or it can be used as decoration for weddings and wedding bouquets.
- Color blue is a symbol of trust, respect buy this color is closely tied with the symbolic meaning of the Forget me not flower. This color symbolizes remembering someone and having respect for this person no matter what he or she represents to you.
- Color pink is a symbol of romance, love and gentle emotions. This flower can be gifted to someone you love and respect but also as a symbol of not forgetting someone you love. This color goes perfectly with the symbolic meaning of the Forget me not flower which is eternal love and long lasting connection.
Forget me not flower – Botanical facts and characteristics
Myositis is a plant that grows all over Europe. Resistant, short-lasting perennial bushy appearance. It has grayish, oblong tapered leaves. Azure blue fragrant flowers are gathered in the bloom. It is usually grown as a one year or two year old species. Many cultivars have been cultivated from the basic species. So ‘Ultramarine’ has dark blue, and ‘Blue Ball’ indigo blue blossoms.
Young plants are planted on permanent sites in September or October or in the spring. Myositis, however, best grows on soil that provides enough moisture (but not too much). And contains an appropriate amount of organic matter such as dry leaves or compost. In poorly drained soil the plants may die during the winter. Once they expand to some place they often go out. Planting is best in rocks, for hedge trunks, for planting under bigger plants with bullets or tubers. For very harsh winter it is recommended to cover the foil or pine cones (best veneer).
Forget me not flower – Secret message
Every flower has its own secret message that we need to understand and get to know in order to apply it on our life. Flower symbols can make us think of certain things and evoke a particular emotion in our heads. They are that powerful and can make us feel a certain way.
Flower symbolism is also important when we want to surprise someone we love because we can’t just gift them any flower. This flower has to represent our emotions and everything we are feeling inside.
Flowers often have a much stronger symbolic meaning than we might think, so it is always interesting to find out more about them. The message behind the Forget me not flower is the message of never forgetting the people you love and to always show them how you feel.
Sometimes we forget to tell the people we love how much we care and how dear they are to us.